Thursday, April 13, 2006

A History of Violence


Viggo Mortensen stars as Tom Stall, an average Joe, in the perfect marriage, with the perfect family, in the perfect little village, owning the perfect family diner. All is right in Tom's world.

Until, that is, a couple of bad-asses show up to rob his diner, and Tom kicks their collective asses, making him an instant national hero. Now, a Philadelphia mobster (Ed Harris) is knocking on Tom's door, convinced that he is really Joey Cusack, the long-missing brother of a mob boss (William Hurt), wanted for turning on the mob. Hmmmm. Maybe I should put that another way. How about: Wanted for going against the mob. Yeah. That sounds less sexual.

Is Tom really Joey? Is it a case of mistaken identity? Can't tell you. Gotta watch it.

Tom's family's reaction to the ultimate issue - who is Tom Stall - struck me as a little unusual. They seemed too eager to doubt. Especially against the backdrop of the perfect family life they had before that fateful night in the diner.

I liked the character of Jack Stall, Tom's son. I thought Ashton Holmes was decent in the role, although he looked way too old to be playing a high school student. Heidi Hayes played the young daughter, and reminded me why Dakota Fanning remains Hollywood's go-to-girl when in need of a little blonde girl for a movie. Heidi, frankly, sucked.

I really liked the movie, though. Originally a graphic novel, it has some really good fight scenes, although this is not an action movie, but a movie about violence. (I guess the title kinda gives that away, huh?) I have some fundamental questions about the movie, and its outcome, but I can't present them here without giving things away.

Overall, I definitely suggest you rent it. Oh, one other thing: There are some surprisingly graphic sex scenes between Tom Stall and his wife (Maria Bello). So, I guess that's another reason to rent it.

Good movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home