Friday, March 10, 2006

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

The Hills Have Eyes (hereinafter "THHE") is a remake of Wes Craven's 1977 film of the same name. Wes directed and wrote the original, and has now been promoted to Producer of THHE.

The premise: An extended family (Mom; Dad; their teenage son and daughter; their married daughter; her husband, their baby; and 2 German shepherds (named in both versions Beauty & Beast)) is driving to California and decides to take the long way to see America. Their SUV and Streamline Trailer crash in the middle of the desert. There's no cell phone service. They are then beset upon by radioactive, mutated cannibals. Let the bloodbath begin.

If you saw the original, THHE follows it to a "T". The opening sequence is fantastic. After the credits, the movie takes its time, introducing the audience to is characters while they travel along. There are all the stereotypical jumps - a loud orchestral swoop, a startled scream, and a bird flies through the window. "Whew. Just a bird." But they are all used to decent effect.

Once the violence starts, however, it doesn't let up. This is a very gory, disturbing movie. Very gory. Lots of body parts. Cannibalism. Rape. Burnings. Explosions. Dismemberments. An axe is used frequently. And lots, and lots, and lots, of blood. If gore ain't your thing, don't see this. I, however, like my horror gory, so I thought it was pretty cool.

One of my friends with whom I saw this was disappointed, because, among other reasons, he was hoping for a little more social commentary, along the lines of Land of the Dead. The social commentary IS there in THHE, but there isn't much, and what is there is literally stabbed into the skull with a brutal, strong vengeance. See the movie, and you will understand that my use of the word "literally" is correct.

So, where does this review leave me? I don't know. I can say that I really enjoyed this movie. I can also say that this movie isn't great - hell, it may not even be good. But I liked it. So, I guess I'll say that if you enjoy graphic, gory horror movies, then this movie may be for you. Personally, I can't wait for the unrated DVD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home