Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Unit - TV series on CBS

Well, it's not a movie, but I believe it worthy of a recommendation.

See, I love my TV. And SO often series that I really enjoy get cancelled immediately. Firefly, Wonderfalls, Love Monkey, Jake In Progress. All gone. So I'm taking it upon myself to try to get people to give a new show a try...

Last night, I saw the series premiere of a new show on CBS called "The Unit." TV Guide describes it as follows:

A covert team of U.S. Special Forces operatives undertake missions around the world while their wives attempt to carry on a normal life back at home, living on a military base and keeping their husbands' secrets.

While that description is accurate, it makes a thoroughly compelling series sound like a bad Chuck Norris movie. Judging solely on the premiere episode, The Unit is an awesome show, with fantastic potential. It could very well become my favorite series currently on the air. I suppose I should've expected nothing less of a series created by David Mamet!

It stars Dennis Haysbert (President Palmer from "24") Scott Foley (some guy from "Felicity") and Robert Patrick ("Terminator 2" and Jumped-The-Shark X-Files). The actresses playing the wives are all relatively unknown - at least to me. I was surprised at how much I liked the wives' backstories.

The Unit is a group outside of every other military branch. It is completely autonomous. The action was great. The missions were difficult, but not "Mission: Impossible" difficult. And the drama between the wives, including the wife of the newest Unit member, is excellent. Foley is the newest member, and his wife and their young daughter had no idea what they were getting into. The wife insists that, under the Army regs, they are allowed to live off base. Haysbert's wife gently pats the young woman on the shoulder and says, "You're not in the Army. You're in the Unit."

Give the show a chance. It's very, very good.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Yeah, well then I better not review Spike Lee's new movie starring Clive Owen, Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, and Willem Defoe. It opens March 24, and is called "Inside Man".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home