Monday, December 12, 2005

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

I preface this review by saying that I have read and re-read the Narnia books untold times. I love them. I'll never forget how much I wished I was able to visit this wonderful world, closing myself up in my bedroom closet, and pretending that I was entering Narnia.

I'll also never forget learning in high school that the books were a huge metaphor for Jesus, and how cheated and duped I felt. Aslan is JESUS??? Are you kidding me? I felt so used. Of course now, as an adult, it is really obvious. I have re-read these books several times as an adult, and still love them as pure fantasy, ignoring in my own mind the obvious Christian symbolism. And I love them.

So, how did the film stack up to the first book? Wonderfully! First, Tilda Swinton as the White Witch. WOW. She is damn spooky. Next, the kids. All of them are pitch perfect, with particular mention of Georgie Henley, who IS Lucy.

Finally, the special effects: They're great, of course. Aslan and Mr. and Mrs. Beaver are so wonderfully realized, and the wolves are damn scary! Now, this is NOT a film for little kiddies. Although there is on obvious lack of blood throughout the movie (imagine a battle scene with thousands of actors, and not one drop of blood), there is one particular moment with Jesus, um... I mean Aslan and the minions of the White Witch that is quite terrifying.

I can't wait for the next films. Although no official word has been released, I can't imagine that they wouldn't follow this remarkable film with Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Magician's Nephew, A Horse and His Boy, and all the other books in the series. See this movie.

UPDATE: It has been officially announced that Disney has slated "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" for a December 2007 release! Woo hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home